Monday, February 24, 2014

Amuse Your Muse Monday - Bird Beads - with Rebecca of Songbead


Hello all! I'm back in Belfast, complete with reliable internet and the ability to blog when I choose! Big thanks to Heather for stepping in for me last week when technology failed me. 

Today is the last week of our bird bead theme. What's next, I hear you ask? Stringing materials! Cords, chains, fibres, wires.....I want to see it all! basic foundation of your designs. And if you find altered materials, then so much the better. Do you patina your own chain or wire? Do you dye your own ribbon? Do you spin your own fibres? We want to see! And if you have used these materials in your designs, we want to see them too! Leave your links in the comments below or post a link to FB. 

But before I get ahead of myself, let's turn back to our little bird beads, and say goodbye to them for now. I hope you've found a new bead or bead-maker or two to inspire you this month! I thought that this week, I would share some of my own personal favourites in the bead bird world, and show you how I have used them in my own designs. 

First up, Leah Curtis of Beady Eyed Bunny. I know I will have shared her beads here before because - well, because I love them! She has a rustic, folk-art feel to her work which goes perfectly with my designs. Here are some of her bird beads:



...and how I have used some similar in this earring design. (Lampwork rings from Earthshine.) If you speak to Leah nicely, she may well make you your own birds in the colour(s) of your choice.....


Owls are such popular imagery these days, they seem to fall into a category of their own! I adore working with them, and possibly my very favourite owl bead artist of all time is Kylie Parry


She is currently busy being Mummy to the very cutest little baby boy, so her shop updates are a little like gold-dust at the moment, but I believe if you ask her extra nicely and you aren't in a rush, she is still taking on the odd custom order.....

Here are a couple of my designs featuring Kylie's owls:

Twit Twoo  (branch and tag from Mamacita Beadworks)

Hoot! (sold) (lampwork ring from Earthshine)

Another ceramicist whose bird beads I love to work with is Caroline Dewison of Blueberri Beads. She makes the cutest birds in all different sizes and glazes, but beware - they don't hang around for long in her etsy shop! Again, if you smile very nicely, Caroline may well make you your very own custom birds. Here are some in a delightful spring colour combo - aren't they just gorgeous? 


And here's one of my many, many bracelets featuring one of her sweet tweets: 
Floral Nest  (word pebble from Swoondimples


And now for the BeadBlogger Links. See you next week with some artisan stringing materials! 
































Rebecca is a Scottish jewellery designer, currently living in Belfast, Northern Ireland. You can read more about her and her work at her blog, songbeads.blogspot.com and see more of her jewellery at songbead.etsy.com. She also has a supplies shop at thecuriousbeadshop.etsy.com.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I love Leah's little birds, they're so full of character! Kylie's too... The necklace with the purple owl is my favourite of them all!

Thank you for featuring mine in your favourites :)

SmittenBeads said...

Lovely blog Rebecca, all gorgeous beads and jewellery. I'm just wondering would my hand dyed chiffon be any good for the next blog? :) x

Unknown said...

They are also my 3 alltime favourite beadartists!