Friday, June 7, 2013

June Monthly Challenge Color Palette



It's time again for our monthly challenge color palette, and this month, I've got two for you.

As I was looking at "Jackknife Village" by Franklin Carmichael, I was struck by just how many colors there were in it.Take a good look and you'll see all sorts of shades of purple, blue, gray, yellow, and browns. So. Many. Colors!

Naturally, I love them all, but it poses a problem when it comes time to make a palette from them. How best do I summarize just a select few to represent an entire painting? Some months, it's easier than others, but this month was tricky for me. I solved the problem by making two color palettes instead of one! You can't have too many palettes, right?

The top one is a good overview of "Jackknife Village", I think. It presents a full range of colors, from very light to very dark, and gives you lots of options when it comes time to pick out supplies for your challenge designs. I'm especially in love with the way the cool blues and warm ochers play off each other, and the touches of dark blue and dark orange you can find hiding in key places.

The bottom palette keeps things nice and airy. With more of a middle range of colors, this one highlights lots of soft, warm grays, with touches of purple, blue, and golden yellow. I love that the tones here are subtle, especially with the grays changing hues within the same area.

So, there you have it! Two palettes to choose from this month - which pulls at you more?

3 comments:

Sarajo Wentling said...

Lovely palettes as always, Brandi! I have to say that I'm more drawn to the first one with more saturated colors. I've got to start working on my piece soon!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

really really stunning and inspiring!

Diva Designs Jewelry said...

http://scdiva.blogspot.com/2013/06/june-abs-entry.html

Here is my blog post about my entry this month.

Thanks!
Lynda